October is Cyber Security month. Our Director of Operations, Micki Larson, has compiled a list of top tips to help ensure your cyber security.
Eight Great Cybersecurity Tips
- Public Wifi Access: Be selective when using public wifi. While fine for looking up dining options, etc. it is not a secure option for logging into your financial accounts and/or performing banking transactions.
- Log Out Completely: So simple, yet so easy to forget to do this. When you log into your personal accounts, make it a habit to log out before shutting your laptop or closing your mobile screen.
- Create Secure Passwords: Coming up with secure passwords, not to mention, passwords you can remember, is not always easy. Many organizations are still requiring the use of symbols and special characters but, using a memorable passphrase of 17 letter characters or more is just as safe. I have found a great password tool that will allow you to test out your password.
- Secure Internet Connection: Make sure your home wireless network connection is secured with a strong password. With this being the very basic and simple step, there are many other steps you can take to protect your home wireless network.
- Automatic Updates On: Your computers and mobile devices should have the automatic updates feature turned on. This way you will receive the latest software updates which help eliminate viruses and malware.
- Passcode Protect Your Mobile Devices: If you happen to loose your cell phone, you can make it harder for someone to access your information. There are also options to wipe your device remotely if lost.
- Online Shopping: If you are shopping online/making a purchase, be sure to note the website URL should start with “https” and not “http”. The “s” confirms that the data is being conveyed through a legitimate, secured channel.
Phishing: Put your best judgment to test and learn from these examples of phishing. Can you spot which emails are attempts to hack your personal information?